Baby wearing is just like it sounds...strapping your baby onto you and going about your day. Why in the world would someone want to do this?! Here are a few reasons:
- Baby wearing helps satisfy the baby's need for closeness, touch and affection.
- Baby wearing promotes and strengthens parents' emotional bond with their baby.
- The movement that naturally results from carrying your baby stimulates his neurological development.
- Babies cry less when worn or held.
- Holding helps regulate your baby's temperature and heart rate.
- Baby feels more secure.
- Baby wearing facilitates easy outings and travel.
Baby wearing can be hard on you. If you start from the beginning, you will get stronger as your baby gains weight. Sort of like how we get "mommy arms" from holding and picking up children all day. It is much easier to leave your baby in swings, exersaucers, and bouncy seats, but if you want what is BEST, then spend more of your day wearing your baby and use your gadgets for moments when you are doing things that are
I feel it is important for moms to know about baby wearing because it would have helped me a lot when my son was born. He was a high needs baby, and wanted to be held ALL the time. He cried constantly. He would not sleep. But at that time, I wouldn't have even known what to look up on the internet for help! The carriers I tried were not working, and I tried the Nojo sling with no success, probably because I didn't have help using it. But now you can find all kinds of styles and prints of slings, and moms (and dads) are wearing their babies all kinds of ways.
Our thanks to Heather at Mom4Life for furnishing baby wearing pictures for this article.